This bronze mirror has a handle in the form of a girl. The oval part of the mirror is pinned to the handle and would have been polished to create a reflection. It is thought to have come from Dra Abu el Naga, near Luxor. This area contains rock tombs of courtiers and important people from the New Kingdom onwards. Because of its provenance and its metal handle, it is thought to date to the New Kingdom. In earlier periods, although the design was very similar, the handles were more often made of wood, bone or ivory. It would have been a very valuable and costly item, used when the lady who owned it wanted to beautify herself. This was bought by Jeremiah Colman at Luxor. Probably New Kingdom, 1550-1295 BC.
NWHCM : 1921.37.37 : A
Mirror width: 140mm
Gift from Helen Caroline Colman and Ethel Mary Colman, 1921.
Photograph number: DP6_14.jpg